Next Friday vs. This Friday

I scheduled with a friend a meeting on the upcoming Friday. In the middle of the week, I sent an email to him saying that I was going to meet him "next Friday". He replied to me asking if I was going to meet him "next Friday" and not "this Friday".

Well, when I said, "next Friday", I was considering the Friday that comes next. However, the understanding among native speakers is that the upcoming Friday is “this Friday", and the next week's Friday is "next Friday".

How it works in practice:

Last + day of the week is used for days in the previous week.
This + day of the week is used for days in the current week.
Next + day of the week is used for days in the following week.

What happens if today is Friday? 
If it is Friday, there is no “this Friday”; you will say “today". “Next Friday" will be the next week's Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts