Wish vs. Desire vs. Want

I want to get a job.
I wish to get a job.
I desire to get a job.

Is there a difference among these sentences? 

According to thefreedictionary.com the meaning of "want", "wish", and "desire" have close connotation when the context is about hoping for something, as follows:
"want: to have a strong feeling to have (something); wish (to possess or do something); desire greatly."  
"wish: to long for; want."  
"desire: to wish or long for; want" 
That being said, we can say that there is no difference among those sentences in the beginning of the post.

Although these words have almost the same meaning, in the States "desire" is not frequently used. We can say that "desire" seems to have a stronger and more dramatic sentiment than "wish"or "want".

Of course, the meaning is close if it is in the same context. See the next examples: 
"I want you" and "I desire you" has the same meaning; however "I wish you" has no meaning. ("I wish you all the best", does).

It's worth it to add that Americans usually use "desire" as a noun: "My desire is to kick your ass". Or "My wish is to kick your ass". But not "My want is to kick your ass". 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts